Johannesburg, 15 July 2021: The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), through Vision 2050: Time to Transform, provides a comprehensive, realistic and practical business action agenda for 2020-2030, designed to help companies advance transformation and unlock opportunities. Only collaboration at unprecedented levels between business, government and civil society, will create the impact and scale required for real transformation.
As the local implementation partner of the WBCSD, NBI has participated in the co-creation of this vision. Joanne Yawitch, CEO of NBI, chaired the online session on 15 July, and commented: “We want to see sustainable societies around the world and a South Africa that is thriving and inclusive economically, environmentally and socially. Vision 2050 can contribute to our thinking and help accelerate our members efforts towards achieving this transformation.”
The session featured the following speakers:
- Keryn James: Group Chief Executive Officer, ERM and Vice Chair, WBCSD Executive Committee
- Mzila Mthenjane: Executive Head, Stakeholder Affairs, Exxaro
- Stiaan Wandrag: Sustainability and External Reporting Director, Tiger Brands
- Filippo Veglio: Managing Director & Senior Management Team, WBCSD
Leveraging the insights from Vision 2050: Time to Transform, NBI will continue to encourage bold leadership and business acumen to enable a just transition and a better life for all in South Africa, with reinforced trust among societal actors.
About the National Business Initiative (NBI)
NBI is a voluntary coalition of some 100 South African and multinational companies, working towards sustainable growth and development in South Africa and the shaping of a sustainable future through responsible business action, thereby demonstrating business action for sustainable growth. NBI was launched in 1995 by former President Nelson Mandela, initially to support the new democratic government.
NBI is a partner of WBCSD’s Global Network, an alliance of more than 60 CEO-led business organizations worldwide. The Network, encompassing some 5,000 companies, is united by a shared commitment to provide business leadership for sustainable development in their respective countries and regions.
- Gillian Hutchings, Head of Membership & Communications, NBI
- South Africa: Vision 2050 dialogues hosted by the National Business Initiative (March 2020)
- For more information on Vision 2050: Time to Transform, please visit https://timetotransform.biz/