Buildings represent nearly 40% of final energy used globally. If we include the energy consumed in building construction, this number grows to more than 50%. However, large and attractive opportunities exist to reduce buildings' energy use at a lower societal cost and a higher return than in other sectors.
The WBCSD decided to bring a Manifesto for Energy Efficiency in Buildings to all members, calling on them to take voluntary action. By signing the Manifesto, companies “walk the talk” and send a strong message to the market, stakeholders & employees. The Manifesto and its accompanying Implementation Guide outline 5 actions for companies:
- Create a baseline for the company's commercial buildings and set time-based energy and/or CO2 reduction targets in line with transformative change.
- Publish a company policy for minimum energy performance levels in the company's commercial buildings.
- Define and carry out the company's audit program and implementation strategy to meet energy targets for its commercial buildings.
- Publish buildings' energy use, CO2 emissions and progress against reduction targets annually in the company's corporate social responsibility or other report.
- To further promote building energy efficiency among suppliers, employees and other stakeholders through advocacy, marketing activity, R&D, education and training.
WBCSD members firmly believe that actions towards improving energy performance in buildings and creating a demand for energy-efficient buildings in local markets will be vital to achieving emissions reductions in buildings.
For more information or if you wish to share your own experience, contact Roland Hunziker, EEB Project Director, at email@example.com or +41 (0)22 839 31 84.