This PowerPoint presentation builds on past and present work of the WBCSD's Ecosystems Focus Area, as well as on information generated by The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment and the World Resources Institute. It aims to raise awareness around the links and relationships between business and ecosystems.
The presentation is structured in modules, which can be used independently or together. Delivering all modules is expected to take around 3.5 hours.
The modules include:
- Elevator speech: Getting hooked (10 minutes);
- Definitions and concepts: Setting the scene (30 minutes);
- Status and supply: Urgency for action (30 minutes);
- Drivers and causes of change: Cause and effect (20 minutes);
- Consequences of degradation: Impacts (30 minutes, if examples are incorporated);
- Responses: Ways forward (90 minutes).
By including examples and case studies of business risks and opportunities arising from a company's dependence and/or impact on ecosystem services, the business case for ecosystems can be further strengthened. For examples of ecosystem service-related business risks and opportunities please see those compiled by WRI.
The target audience is WBCSD member companies and the broader business community, and anyone else interested in learning more about the nexus between business and ecosystems.