Edgar O. Chua - Country Chairman of Shell Philippines
Philippine Business for the Environment (PBE), a non-stock, non-profit organization, was incorporated in January 1992 to help Philippine business address environmental issues. It has a membership base of 53 companies.
- Spreading knowledge and experience across businesses, including best environmental management practices and innovative approaches;
- Creating synergies between the efforts of businesses;
- Bringing business together with communities, local governments and other non – profits to achieve mutual environmental goals.
Promotion of Sustainable Production and Sustainable Consumption through Greening the Supply Chain, Green Purchasing, Cleaner Production, Environment Mgt Systems
- Manages the Industry Waste Exchange Program;
- Organizes exhibits, such as Eco – Products Fairs, Environtech trade fair and recyclers' exhibition featuring suppliers of environmental services and clean technologies and industry recyclers;
- Implements donor-assisted projects such as the 2010 Green Business with Green Procurement Program in partnership with the International Green Purchasing Network, and funded by the Japan Fund for the Global Environment of the Environmental Restoration and Conservation Agency;
- Is among the local partners implementing the European Union – assisted “Green Philippine Islands of Sustainability (GPIOS) Project” with the Austria – based Stenum Center for Appropriate Technology/GrAt and the Czech – based University of Ostrava. Other local partners are the Asia Society for Social Improvement and Social Transformation/ ASSIST, the Phil. Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the European Chamber of Commerce in the Philippines.
Greenhouse Gas Accounting and Management Assistance to companies that want to measure and reduce their carbon footprints through the use of the International GHG Accounting Protocol
- Serves as the Secretariat for the Business Climate Imperative, with support from Holcim Phils, to promote voluntary industry action to reduce emissions from business operations by mobilizing mobilized various industry groups and partners to identify and lead projects in five key areas: Transport, Energy, Solid Waste, Sustainable Cities and Buildings, and Agriculture and Forests;
- Organized the 2011 Business Climate Action Summit;
- Implements the Clean Fleet Management Program for companies, government agencies and transport operators in partnership with Pilipinas Shell, Honda Cars Manufacturing, Phils, the Honda Foundation, Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities and the Partnership for Clean Air to measure and reduce emissions from vehicle fleets.
Advocacy & Education
- Publishes the quarterly Business and Environment Magazine;
- Manages a Corporate Environmental Training Series as well as a number of other workshops, forums and roundtable meetings, private sector consultations and stakeholder dialogues;
- Assists companies to implement CSR programs (e.g. for water advocacy and education) and community – based information and communication campaigns.
Networking via Membership in the following:
- Philippine Ecolabelling Body (Board Member)– co – chaired by the Bureau of Product Standards (DTI) and the National Solid Waste Mgt Commission (DENR);
- Partnership for Clean Air (Board Member);
- Philippine Earth Day Network;
- Philippine Pollution Prevention Roundtable;
- Phil. Council for Sustainable Development - Sub Committee on Information, Education and Communication;
- ISO 26000 Philippine Working group convened by the DTI / BOI – Environmental Affairs Office to input to the preparation of the ISO guidance standard on Social Responsibility;
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development.