Amjad Parvez Janjua
BCSD Pakistan was formally launched in November 2006 with the high-level participation of business and government. Support from leading national companies provided the requisite thrust for BCSD Pakistan to move ahead at a fast pace. It participated in WBCSD's Global Network Meeting for the first time in March 2007. Pakistan's Ambassador to Switzerland attended the Official Dinner to express the government's support.
Building on WBCSD's extensive intellectual capital and advocacy platform, BCSD Pakistan aims to be a leading voice and a source of cutting-edge information on the responsible and effective role of business in the sustainable development of the country. The BCSD has been set up at a time of increasing awareness among Pakistan's enterprises of the need to create a sustainable business environment that strikes an effective balance between economic growth, social progress and ecological efficiency.
To align business policies and practices with the evolving needs and expectations of society regarding the responsibility of companies, BCSD Pakistan envisages the following activities:
- Promoting awareness: Strengthen awareness about sustainable development, good governance and corporate responsibility among member companies and the community at large.
- Engagement and partnership: Work closely with like-minded companies in Pakistan and relevant organizations abroad to explore key issues and solutions, share best practices and foster learning. Promoting public-private partnerships by developing an appreciation of the need for engagement of business in broader social, environmental and governance matters.
- Projects: Tap into the intellectual capital, professional experience and business network of member companies to develop projects in the areas of alternative energy, clean water and business policy.
- Capacity building: Collaborate with academic and research institutions to broaden knowledge and understanding of business and sustainability; target future business leaders as a key audience; conduct seminars and workshops; develop training material and tools; support the development of evaluation and monitoring mechanisms to ensure efficient implementation.
- Advocacy and communication: Articulate and communicate sustainability challenges and business responses; develop policy positions; network with opinion leaders to improve perceptions and build trust regarding the business role; advocate important initiatives and achievements to key audiences; develop and implement a comprehensive advocacy plan.
- Regulatory framework: Provide business input into the development of a comprehensive and independent regulatory framework supporting the business contribution to sustainable development.