Geneva, 28 June 2016 - The issue brief outlines how inclusive business solutions can deliver both business and societal value, in full alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The latter call on business to use creativity, innovation, and investment to contribute to eradicating poverty, promoting peace and equality, fueling inclusive growth, and protecting the environment.
The publication was released in Spanish, building on the March 2016 edition published in English by the WBCSD. Its preface outlines a short joint vision statement, signed by 13 Chairmen and Chairwomen of the Global Network partners based in Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Peru, and Uruguay).
In the joint vision, the partners commit to:
- Promoting the nexus between inclusive business and the SDGs alongside the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights;
- Disseminating knowledge, strategies, and tools on inclusive business
- Advocating for framework conditions that stimulate inclusive business and other types of business solutions contributing to the SDGs
Inclusive business, a term coined by the WBCSD in 2005, refers to ventures that go beyond philanthropy by integrating low-income communities living at the base of the economic pyramid (BOP) into companies’ value chains as customers, suppliers, retailers, and distributors.
The issue brief articulates the business case for targeting the BOP, illustrates how inclusive business solutions link up to each of the 17 SDGs, and presents an overview of common internal and external challenges faced by companies when developing and scaling these solutions.
In addition, the short brief presents the WBCSD’s work in this domain and its existing partnerships with leading multilateral institutions: the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), and IFC, a member of the World Bank Group. The Council is also part of the Inclusive Business Action Network (IBAN). The latter enables access to knowledge and information, organizes B2B peer-learning events, and facilitates networking and partnerships on international and local level.
Across 2016 and beyond, the WBCSD and its Global Network partners in Latin America will continue to provide their respective member companies with a platform for catalyzing further action, gaining greater insights, and creating an environment that is more conducive to scaling inclusive business solutions.
- Download the publication in Spanish: Contribuyendo a los Objetivos de Desarollo Sostenible: El enfoque de Negocios Inclusivos
- Download the publication in Portuguese: Contribuindo com os Objetivos de Desenvolvimento Sustentável: A abordagem de negócios inclusivos
- WBCSD inclusive business blog: www.inclusive-business.org